General foot health tips
Docpods general health tips are things that everyone, regardless of whether they have a foot condition should take note of and apply to their everyday life. This will help to improve or maintain their foot health.
Special attention must be given to those suffering from Diabetes, are neurological or vascular impairment.
- Feet are not supposed to hurt. If you feel pain in your feet get it checked by your Podiatrist.
- Examine your feet daily for signs of irritation, discoloration or change.
- Keep your feet clean and dry paying particular attention to the web spaces – the web spaces can trap moisture and can be a reservoir for fungal infections.
- Keep your toe nails short and clean – a majority of foot conditions are caused by the toenails.
- Wear good quality, well-fitted footwear that match your activity and foot type – if you have a curved foot get a curved shoe.
- Alternate between at least 2 pairs of shoes – this will allow them to dry and are less likely to cause foot problems.
- When going outside wear shoes at all times – this will give you feet the necessary support and also offer them protection.
- Use and emollient (moisturizer) daily to help to keep your feet supple – the most effective emollient are ones that contain 10 – 25% urea.
- Visit your podiatrist regularly to have your feet checked.